Dec 15, 2008

I'm thinking a lot these days about how quickly life is changing. How is it possible to move from being the mom of small kids to awaiting the birth of my grandchild seemingly overnight?

I relished the time of life when my kids were younger. The house was messier but the sounds were sweet and lively. I was aware most of the time that the days were precious and I needed to invest my whole heart into them.

And then one day the house was no longer messy and the sounds, although still very sweet, had become....softer.

Ya know, I can't think of anyone whose life I'd rather live but I find myself spinning trying to find my center in the one I have. I still have a child at home. A child...she's fourteen and busy, as well she should be. But the sounds of youth grow dim when she's away. My beloved and I spend quiet evenings eating out... watching movies... holding hands. And, in that, I find myself developing a split personality. The right side of me loves the quiet, abiding love that we enjoy. But the left side is missing the meal interruptions to cut someone's meat, the movie interruptions to take someone to potty and the holding hand interruptions to, "Pick me up!"

My sweet husband reminds me that this is just another stage of our life and that I'll adjust. I know he's right. Being a grandmother is something I've looked forward to as long as I can remember and I'm thrilled the time is almost here. I just didn't expect the years gone by to flash like the roadside view in a speeding car. I thought the 20 mph days we had when the kids were younger would last forever.

As I think more about this, I realize that where we are today is the season of life we've spent our marriage working toward. We married because we wanted to live our love forever, we had children as a result of that choice and now grandchildren are arriving as a testimony to the fruit of that choice.

So somebody give me a hug and tell me to move from reflection back to anticipation - I have a grandbaby on the way!

3 comments:

Cathy Womble said...

(((Karyn))), too late to anticipate. Congrats on the new baby. You will love being a grandma/nana/mimi or whatever!

Debbie B said...

I am sending you a hug, too. I miss those days and times more than breathing.

(((Karyn)))

Love,
Debbie

Kearsmom said...

Okay....now I'm bawling!!!

Miss Jean