Jan 20, 2009

So I decided I needed to know how many days I’ve lived. I plugged the dates into an online calculator that takes Leap Year into account.

Grand total:
18,036 days

As of the moment I hit enter:
432,864 hours ~or~
25, 971,840 minutes ~or~
1, 558,310,400 seconds


I’m trying to decide what percentage of that time has been fruitful. So I decided to take the next five minutes and - in the name of fruit-ality - take stock of the time...

For the sake of argument, let’s assume the first 5 years were all productive – lots to learn in those years.

The rest…

I have been/am a daughter, sister, granddaughter, aunt, niece, cousin, wife, mother, grandmother, friend.
I got an education.
I married.
I gave birth to 3 children and have raised 2.75 of 'em.
I have been a houseparent at a children’s home, a youth director for a Baptist church, a secretary, a salesperson at a clothing store, a guardian ad lidem for at risk children, CPR instructor, respiratory therapist, teacher.
I blessed some folks, hurt others. I can only hope the blessings outnumber the hurts.
I’ve done smart stuff and stupid stuff. Ditto to the above statement, hoping the good outweighs the bad.
I’ve adopted/bought/brought home and cared for 18 animals, give or take the few I forgot or imagined.
I’ve had licenses to drive in 4 states.
I’ve owned 8 cars…some new, others barely running.
I’ve buried 9 friends and 5 family members.
I’ve belonged to 5 church families.
I’ve been a good example and a bad one. Let’s say for the sake of my ego, I was a good example more often.
I've laughed heartily and wept bitterly. I'm blessed to be able to say I've laughed more.
I've forgiven and been forgiven. I'm sure the latter is in greater abundance - God's forgiveness alone settles that question.

Obviously, I don’t know the remaining number of my days, but I intend to spend them more deliberately than the ones behind me.

Love more, forgive more, help more, trust more, pray more.

And all the other stuff that never did anybody any good needs to just stop. Waste of time, it is.

2 comments:

Debbie B said...

This was such a neat post because it made me think! We are need to take stock of our lives and see if they have been spent wisely!!

Blessings,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thought-provoking post. I love the way you write. Your post reminds me of that verse where it says something like, "Teach me to number my days...".